Since Im back in CA and working a ‘real job’ that has a certified risk management team making decisions about where I can or cannot travel, I’m know its not as important to keep you all informed about my life at AT, but for my sake, I want to reflect on the last few weeks there, coming back here, and the first few months of life here. All in 500 words or less! Okay, Im not limiting myself, but I am going to finish where I left off.
Happy Birthday to me. :/
One of the more memorable nights for me at AT was Jul 9th-10th. My birthday. A is one of my favorite students (have you noticed they are all my favorites?!?!). Yes, he is rough around the edges, usually inappropriate, and known for making the only wrong decision available when presented with 10 other right ones, but we are buddies. He has a kind heart, is very intelligent, and keeps a very watchful eye on many folks at the school, Kenai included. He has more than one run-in with the administration and this particular evening, push was coming to shove and on July 9th, my bday eve, I was sitting in his expulsion hearing. This time, technically he ditched a class, my class. That is what he was on trial for. During that class period, when a good dozen other kids were late or also not in my class (it was a study hall on the weekend), a pair of shoes disappeared from one of the students rooms. Two of the administrators in particular are hard to deal with during these hearings. One really does view the kids as adults and treats them as such. This administrator is not good as being reserved and has to speak everything that is on his mind at the moment and make the other person feel as small and wrong as possible, including things that happened way back when and are not relevant for this conversation. The other, I think was just on a power trip. It was ugly. I hated it. He admitted he was not in the class without hesitation, and also insisted he did not take the shoes. His alibi checked out, but most were convinced he was guilty.
We sent A out of the room to discuss. Yet, there was no room for discussion. He was gone in the morning. We always have one student there, the same student, representing the student council. He said it best to one of the administrators: “You say you are like family, like a father to these kids, but when they mess up, instead of helping them you kick them out.” Well, as if I was not emotional enough already that night! Just after midnight, we called him back in and told him to go to bed, we’d talk in the morning. Happy Birthday to me. Ugh.
In contrast, a few of the girls wanted to come wish me a happy birthday at midnight. Blatantly ignoring the ‘no students in teach housing’ rule, five of them snuck over with cards in hand. They were as giddy as could be! It was a great distraction as we whispered, took a few victory pictures, and I gave them a tour of my room. After a few minutes, we were ready to sneak them back into their dorms. Well, wouldn’t you know, two teachers chose that night lay outside, chatting and star gazing. There were there for over an hour! Aye. Stiffling giggles, peeking out to see if the teachers were still there, and finally being able to tip-toe home, that is a night the girls and I will remember forever! Especially them I have a feeling. J
In the morning, I asked to be there when they told AR the news. I was told the wrong time and wrong location. Super. I walked in halfway through. No need to go into details, but it was not good. The reason Im good with A not being at the school is that I know he never would have been given a fair shot. No matter how good he was in the future, some people never would have let go of the past. I told him this and he seemed to understand. More words were exchanged as the process continued, and his family called me to ask what was going on. It was sad and heartbreaking. He can K played their last monopoly game. It was my first in a slew of upcoming goodbyes.
*************************
I think the rest of the time passed fairly uneventfully. Eventually my two-a-days caught up to me and I threw out my back pretty badly. Very badly. About ten days (and a lot of herbal medicine) later, I was all good and out push-uping them again.
The last few days at the school were a mix of everything. Instead of class on the last day, my 7a writing class and I all made breakfast together. It was a really nice change of pace! And at the assembly the night before we said our good byes, the students were all given the chance to speak. I held it together during that, and graciously accepted so many of their wonderful gifts (including two books on becoming Muslim). The next day, however, I was a mess. It started with a miscommunication- I was supposed to help put report cards together, but no one else was there to do it. I was close to walking away, but thought the student deserved them. Then, in doing the merge, I noticed some of the grades were wrong. Whoever did the formula for GPA reconverted the grades incorrectly. Considering it should have been done 24 hours before that and I was not supposed to be doing this, I was not happy. It was frustrating to say the least, especially a half hour before I was going to say good-bye to my kiddos. The tears started. And did not stop for two days. It was endearing to see many of the boys awkwardly try to cheer me up. The girls just cried with me. Sigh. Until we met again.
No comments:
Post a Comment