The rain is pouring down again. What is it about rainstorms that inspire me to write to you all? Overall, things are well. We have begun transitioning out of this school year and into the whatever is next. I very much mean the collective 'we.' Me, Kenai, the other 'old' staff members, the new staff members, students, everyone. One of my favorites reminds me everyday how many days we have left together. He is going to be a very hard good-bye, if not the hardest. One teacher left this week and we had an assembly in her honor. He comes up to me afterwards and says, "Teacher. I am going to cry when you leave." I retort, "Well I am going to give you a hug." (very haram in this culture- its a small miracle I have lasted the whole year!) He said okay. The teacher's departure has made the reality of change all the more apparent.
BUT, life here goes on. My latest undertaking has been the girls and boys running club. A former olympian is the brother of one of our students. He came and got the students very pumped to run. So, four mornings a week I am up at 4:45 to do conditioning (2 days with girls, 2 days with boys), and I run with them 4-5 afternoons a week. Let me tell you, the six-pack I never had may be apparent in about two more weeks! So far, I am very happy to report, the girls are far more dedicated than the boys. Woo hoo! Though the whine throughout the entire thing, I have a faithful following of 7 girls and they have told the other teachers they like the conditioning better than the running. More circuits it is. It is lovely to see the sunrise (fudger) every morning. Stretching as the sun rises, and stretching as it sets. Life is not too bad.
Kenai is now graphing inequalities in his pre-algebra class. And he is close to finishing book 4 of Harry Potter. Amazing. Im teaching a writing class and I think it is going well. Its the first 'real' class I have taught at the boarding school. Ironic considering I am the one who wants to teach when I leave here. I also have had a few nice nights in town. The board member that i used to live with has had a few of us over for dinner, in honor of the staff member that just left. That has been really nice- dinner and cameraderie in a home. I do miss that. It is a bit sad to think that I have made adult friends here and who knows when our paths will cross again. The students, I hope to see some of them in the states, but who knows about the adults.
All in all life is good, but, like I said, the countdown has begun. Nine weeks until the school year is finished. It comes with so many mixed emotions. I am trying to channel the one labeled 'gratitude,' but it does not always work. Of course I feel gratitude for having been part of these amazing kids' lives, this schools' first years, and this countys' 20th year of seperation from Somalia. I don't feel like I have given all that I can here, or that I have been utilized efficiently. That makes it very hard to leave, but also all the more reason to move on.
So what next? Head to Chicago sometime in August, Bay Area (and everything between) about a week or ten days later. Im still looking for a travel buddy before I head to CHicago if anyone is interested. I am thinking either this region, the greater middle east, or someone in Europe. Shoot me an email if you are interested!!
Finally, our extravagant spring break was great! Kenai and grandpa and grandma all had a good time. K told me afterwards, "You know mom, being in this airport makes me miss grandma and pa." Very sweet. The Falls were lovely, dessert-only buffet one night with just me and K was nice, Chobe Park in Botswana was teaming with animals, especially elephants, and the Serengetti- we saw the Big Five there all on our first day. We went to see animals and we saw animals! Though sitting for 28 days straight, fancy hotels, and eating and drinking everything in sight was nice, it was nice to get back to normal portions and regular exercise.
See you all soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment