6:00am- alarm goes off snooze, snooze, snooze
6:30a- get out of bed. Breakfast is four crunchy laxoox (la-ho, a somali crepe) with sugar, and two cups of coffee. I am reminded by our cook to pick up the (live) goats while I am in town.
7:00-7:50, getting dressed, getting Kenai out of bed and dressed, packing for the day, getting the car keys, making the list of ttd in town. I also have a full conversation, IN SOMALI, with one of the students' cooks- good morning, good morning, how are you, I am fine, how are you, good, where are you going, I am going to hargeisa. This was followed by big grins and many 'very good, very good's. Small things. : D
7:50, I drive to get our driver. He was 'too near' and we were off. On the way we picked up four hitchikers. Another step towards being native- I have hitchhiked and given rides to hitchhikers here now. There was a wedding in our village last night and these folks were making their way back to Hargeisa. Hopefully picking them up creates good karma.
8:20 or so, started the morning of errands. Cashed a check and successfully asked for $20's instead of $100. Again, small things. Met with the VP and Managing Director of a Qaran Express/ Zaad (cell phone money transfers) about the AT programs. It was beautiful- they were talking about this American who transferred money and was complaining because it was taking so long. Guess who that was? Ha! At least it proves I am a customer. :) We laughed about it and clarified how to make the transfer quicker next time. Meet with a few more big-wigs of companies, and the CEO of the largest construction company in the country. Also navigated through the market in record time to pick up my newest dirhas (dresses) from my tailor. The guard and driver were highly impressed- apparently a few other staff members and our driver tried to find the tailor yesterday and couldn't. Another step towards becoming a local- navigating the market more quickly and efficiently than our driver. Love it! Is shopping in multiple countries appropriate for my resume?
9:45- Goat time! Time to buy the goats. I forgot my camera again, but maybe next week I will remember and snap some pics. At the goat/ sheep/ camel market, while the driver was getting the goats, one of the goat brokers came up to the car and told the guard that he wants me. The guard slapped him and told him to get out of here. The fabulous thing is the whole conversation took place in Somali and I understood! While far from a linguist or fluent, I am getting there with Somali. Almost local!
10:10- few more errands, fed the goats some bread (their last meal), and Kenai named the goats Max and Ruby. He talked to them for most of the car ride. Then Max peed in the car. There is something fabulous about talking with CEOs of large companies one minute and being the car with peeing goats the next.
11:00a- Stopped at National (glorified 7-11) to pick up eggs for the teachers. We/ National has been out for a few days, so eggs (bed) will be welcomed with open arms. Again, most of the transaction was in Somali. :)
11:30a- On the way back to Abaarso, we stopped for a family of baboons (dayar) crossing the road. Moms, babies, the whole family. Maybe 30 of them. It was lovely! Expecially with goats eating bread right behind me.
11:40 dropped the goats off at the 'slaughter house.' Reality is it is an older woman of maybe 70 who does it in her back yard, with a single, sharp carving knife. I will pick Max and Ruby up in the morning. Kenai has requested a horn so he can always remember them.
Home before noon. Lunch, emails, and heading back into town for some work this afternoon/ evening.
This is a fairly typical day here in Somaliland. Still loving it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! :)
ReplyDelete