Life here is still good. Simplifying was one huge reason I was looking forward to getting out of the US and that I have. I've only made one online purchase since being here (the REI labor day sale- trail runners would have been much more practical luxury item than my extra pair of running shoes. purchase made. how to get it here is another story....). Seriously though, there are so few distractions that I can actually be present more often than not. Albeit K is still planted in front of the computer more than I care to admit (he has learned about downloading games), we spent an hour and a half today playing tennis, then playing basketball with the tennis ball. He is a funny little kid. Talks sh** with the best of them, and his delivery is right on. For example, after I made two backwards shots in a row he exclaimed "that's pretty good for an old mamma mamma!" Such a nut! Oh, and one of the girls here makes for a better tennis partner because he was her trainer. During our little outdoor time the sun was setting and all was good. Happily, this happens on more days than not, compared to the two times we did it over 6 years in the states.
****
Since I last wrote we have had two good outings. One to the Hargeisa general hospital (public hospital), and the other to attempt to get chickens.
One of the women we met on the plane is a visiting nurse. She took four of us on a tour there and then to dinner afterwards. Pics are posted of the hospital. Overall impressions were that the hospital was in a bit better shape than I expected, but my expectations were off the charts low. Why it was better- it was not over crowded, and there was a degree of sterilization, at least for the equipment. The person stiching up a patient was wearing gloves. However, the personal space is non-exsistent, the overall hospital is clearly not sterile, and if someone was in there with a communicable disease, it would spread faster than a CA wildfire in the fall. There is no FDA standards for drugs, so the pharmacy just has to trust the dealers. It could be sugar pills, or it could be what the box says. One just does not know. The men and women are seperated by 'wards' (buildings). And the big improvement in the labor rooms in the last few years was adding curtains between the beds. The family members are responsible for all of the care and meals of all patients, except the malnourished babies. Doctors will provide treatments and diagnosis, but the families need to get the medicines and bring the patients food, etc.
While definitely sparse and not someplace I would feel comfortable in if in extreme pain, I also think the US is over the top with sterilization and much of the accessories in the hospitals. Here, they want to get you out and home asap. I feel like in the states, once admitted, they will keep you for a while beyond what is needed.
We of course saw the infant and toddler room. Very heart-breaking. Not a day goes by that I am not grateful for a healthy child, let alone the fabulous one that I have. They kids were very cute. After a few minutes of wooing, they smiled and wooed right back. They are in for malnurishment usually. In the hospital, they get one meal of biscuits and milk a day, and an IV of fluids and medications. That is one meal more than they get at home. Over dinner the following day, I forget how it started, but K was talking to one of the teachers, Mike, about the hospital. He mentioned the kids only got a biscuit and milk for dinner. Mike made a comment about making sure we do not end up in the hospital. K's reply was 'yea, because I want to be able to eat more than just that each day.'
****
Chicken shopping was a very different experience. Margaret is our coop guru and leader. She has secured an area on campus, thorned it off, and modified and moved the coop into there for nesting. Eight chickens to start off with- we are raising them for the eggs. There is a farmer in the countryside that sells chickens and we were chomping at the bit to go purchase them. If there were ever two sides to a story, this is one of them. Per the school personnel, we just needed to go with one of the drivers and get the chickens. They should cost about $2.50 each. No sweat! Put them in the back of the jeep and home we roll. Per the driver, we had to go in the morning, and during Ramadan may not be the best time, and we needed to call first. Against his will, the driver took us when he was told to and low and behold, the owener was not around the farm (or sleeping since it was an afternoon during Ramadan). No chickens.
The ride there was a hoot though. I have been told more than once (stop reading now mom and dad) that we are more likely to be killed in a car accident here than by any source of violence. I was almost sure the jeep was going to flip. With four of us squished in the back seat, we tossed and bumped as we traveled down dirt 'roads.' With the rain that we have been having lately, any source of smoothing has been, litlerally, washed away leaving potholes that would put Chicago city streets in the spring to shame. At one point I was in tears from laughing so hard at the thought of 8 chickens in carboard boxes in the back row of the jeep, flappin' around everywhere and bauking up a storm. I am sure they would have been pecking at our heards and we'd have chicken poop all over us. Oh it was a fun thought! Wildlife highlights included a fabulous bird- long neck and coloring like a heron, yet a body that more resembled an ostrich. Of course, I forgot the name of it, but I have a pic that I'll post. Securos (Dik Dik in Eng and Arab) are mini gazelle-like animals, we saw a bunch of those, camels, mom saw a tortoise, but not Kenai, and African squirrel type things. It was a great adventure, even if it ended without chickens.
I am very stoked to get chickens. One of my (many) life long dreams is to have a coop in my back yard. This will be a great introduction to that. K is the only one small enough to get in there and get the eggs, which also means he gets to clean the bedding too. I hope his enthusiasm (and mine) last all year long!
****
Our lovely cook, Nihmo, understands that I am a vegetarian and has been cooking special meals for me. For this I am SO grateful and appreciative. They are very tastey and delicious- simmered beans with tomatoes and onions usually. However, she makes enough for two or three people and I feel obligated to eat it all since she serves it on a plate and sticks it right in front of me. They are also about 75% canned beans. My sodium intake is going through the roof! Ironic, since it is usually sugar intake that increases while here because of all of the sugar in the tea.
****
Logistically, Ramadan ends either tomorrow or Sat, no one seems to know for sure. Then there is a party planned- two actually. We are cooking a 10 chicken feast here on campus tomorrow, and headed to a women's house on Sat for the family festival. How fabulous of her to invite what, 15 of us to her place for the celebration! Reminds me of bus times in Alaska when 21 of us would take over someone's backyard for three nights. People are great! Sunday the univeristy students move in for two weeks. There is a two week English immersion session prior to the undergraduate program starting at the university. This session also gives our teachers practice beaing teachers. It will be good. Following that, the high school students move in at the end of Sept. That is when everyone's world will be rocked. We have been enjoying very balanced days- some work, but plenty of time for sunset basketball. I am looking forward to the chaos and structure, but also sad that K and I will be tutoring during our 'play time.' Our tutoring program (K-8 in English) will start in early Oct. and run from 2p-7p. I hope he will attend village school two mornings a week. He is excited for a lated bedtime. Im also teaching the MBA Marketing course. That is more up my alley than the tutoring, so I am excited for that challenge! It will be interesting to meet and facilitate learning for the execs in that program.
K and I were supposed to head to the village school on Mon or so, but the President called a 'garbage clean-up day' the evening before and school was cancelled to do that. I love the idea, but wonder how much trash was actually collected and where it all went. I am still not used to seeing the garbage everywhere.
****
I forgot to mention how my skills as a plumber have increased since I have been here. My toliet is a nightmare. It leaks/ does not turn itself off, so I have to keep it off and only fill to flush. But sometimes it does not like to fill, so the I have to figure out why- one is to pull something in the back up and then it will fill, and the other is a sealing issue I think. I have to move and twist and push buttons, sometimes walk away for a while, then it will work. Never fear, if I am ever out of work, I think I could be a plumber.
I also have realized how lovely the wind is. Not only does it regulate temperature, but it keeps the bugs away! Two nights ago there was no wind and wow, did the bugs come out! No mosquitos though. Just nate type things. They were everywhere for about 3 hours last night.
****
Tonight three of us went to dinner in town. We were supposed to be finishing a grant, and some work got done, but mostly we chatted and enjoyed the company and atmosphere. The chef was french and this was the classiest restaurant I've been to yet. Hopefully that will change soon. The fish with 'golf' sauce was the best. We also shared fish with curry sauce, and fish kabobs. Yes, lots of fish for me this evening. That's the third time I've eaten it since being here. I have had one bite of goat, but otherwise holding to my veggie diet. Our meal, including waters and coffee, totaled $18. Fabulous! There are 'chips' (fries) served with most meals here. They are about the worst tasting fries ever. I have this feeling though that in 6 months, I am going think they are the best and start craving them. For my 'welcome home' party, I was room temperature, bland think cut fries, just a little soggy, with really bad, watery generic ketchup. You've all got 11 months to perfect that recipe! :)
****
Finally, my knee is getting better. I ran 3K yesterday (first attempt in 9 days). It was by no means pretty nor fast, but it was consistant and I did it without tripping. I am grateful for my very patient running buddy, Abel. On my good days, we seem to keep a similar pace, yet he slowed down significantly and without complaint for my first day back. I pushed a little harder during sports with K today too. I think I will be okay. My goal is to work up to 6K twice a week, and 10K once a week. The air is thinner and the course is rocky and hilly. This is a good challenge. Im aiming for 5K tomorrow and expecting to make it. Let's hope for the best! Insha'Allah (if Allah wills)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I imagine your plumber's crack is better than most.
ReplyDelete:) If only I were permitted to flaunt it here.
ReplyDeleteenjoying your posts- reminds me of my long road trips with chickens, goats and flora and fauna in Sudan.
ReplyDelete