Saturday, August 21, 2010

Checking In...

I know I am not the best at updating the blog. I will be better once I am there. Promise.

Long stories short(er), all of my stuff is packed into a 10x10 storage unit in California. A HUGE thank you to Hubert, Michelle, Jessica, Brian, Joe, Jason, James and Darci for helping me pack, move and strategically arrange all of my stuff. I really would not have been able to do it without you! It took longer and I have more stuff than I thought. I am happy with the results (of it being done), but a little bummed at my poor planning. I had a grand plan for packing, when I would be done, and spending my last days in CA finishing up a few last minute things, walking the neighborhood, swimming at the SCU pool, one last run at Brian’s gym, one more pizza from Stuft, and saying my good-byes to the physical city (the week before was my good-byes to people). Kenai and I were going to spend our last night together sleeping on the floor of an empty apartment and talking about what we were going to miss, what we were looking forward to, nervous about, and just reflecting on life. That was the plan.


Reality was I never got to say good-bye to the city or spend that night with Kenai (we will in Chicago). Instead, my inner bitch came out as I barked orders at my very generous friends as we scrambled to pack, move and store all of my things. Things. So many things. For someone who tries to live simply, I have accumulated a lot of things over the years. Again, thanks for the help and for putting up with me folks!

After a frantic call to my landlord begging for 24 more hours in my apartment, I got on the road about 12 later than I hoped. Starbucks, the bank, a gas station, then to SF to get Bert, my road trip buddy. We drove 2,800 miles over 5 days. That included a fabulous and needed layover day in the greater Denver area. I loved/love the drive! We took I-80 through CA, NV, UT, and WY, then headed down to Denver. From there, we went the Northern Route I-90 through SD, MN, WI and into IL. Black Hills were beautiful- snapped pics of Crazy Horse and Rushmore, watched the sun rise over the fields in SD, WI is always so lush and fabulous. And I walked into Salt Lake in UT. I loved the open road and just going. It was nice. I few more stops at the Dinosaur park or the worlds largest corn maze would have been fun. I'll save that for the drive back with Kenai though.

Chicago is as hectic as always. I have been very bad at replying to folks via email. If that is you, I apologize. Yet, I have not slowed down since mid-July. Visting with family and friends, shopping for hijabs, eating pizza and drinking beer, and purchasing one more pack of rehydration tablets and one more book for Kenai.

I've spent a lot of time with PaPa Joe this week. My folks took Kenai and my sister to Disney World for a week, so I was on Grandpa duty. He is 95 years old and man, I know where I get my stubborness and fiestiness from (not that I'd ever admit to being either one of those, of course). First, he does not wait for me to put the car in park before he is opening the car door and sticking his cane out. He is always in go-go-go mode (totally the opposite of me- ha!). At the post office, someone was holding one door for him and I reached to grab another one for him. He heads straight for a closed door, opens it himself, narrowly missing his head and toes in the process, and walks through that one. Stubborn. And two nurses at the assisted living place where he stayed last week talked to me about him refusing his meds. "Them doctors- they don't know what they are talking about! I don't need to take all that stuff all day long!" This coming from the man who sends away for every fountain-of-youth potion that he encounters. What a nut! It's been fun.

I leave in what- 4 days. Crazy to think about! Purchasing a hijab was a reality check- thanks for going with me Kate. I was shaking when I put the first one on. The ladies at the store could not have been more helpful. Though, the older one (maybe 50 years old?) was certain Somaliland was not the right place for me and that I should be going to Dubai instead- there is much more fashion in Dubai and the scarves are way too big in Somalia! It is fascinating the stories and commentary I hear when I start talking with folks. Im not ready, physically. Not really packed, need to get paperwork in order, clean my room here and store everything I packed in my car. There is never enough time and with the plane ticket, I cannot just leave 12 hours later. No doubt it will get done. And the fact that I am writing instead of taking care of it all means I am procrastinating. If I have time to procrastinate, I am doing well. Mentally, I cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment